INDUSTRY NEWS: Rolex, Patek Philippe, Chanel, Chopard and Tudor depart Baselworld

The Baselworld organisers may have recently announced an offer to this year’s exhibitors to carry forward 85% of the fees for the cancelled Baselworld 2020 to Baselworld 2021 (with the remaining 15% to partially offset out-of-pocket costs already accrued), but it appears that the cancellation and rescheduling to January 2021, which was announced in February, had been made unilaterally.

Some of Baselworld’s major exhibitors, in the form of Rolex, Patek Philippe, Chanel, Chopard and Tudor, have made the decision not just to leave Baselworld, but to hold a new show in conjunction with the FHH and the new Watches & Wonders Geneva. The official press release is below.

With the gauntlet well and truly thrown, it remains to be seen what will happen with the LVMH Group’s Watch Division and if Baselworld 2021 will even take place. Plus with some countries signalling that they do not know if their citizens will be able to travel beyond national borders even up to December 2020 (and with a constantly evolving situation, December could easily turn into January), there’s the COVID-19 uncertainty thrown into the mix for January 2021 as well.

Addendum : The MCH Group has issued a statement in response to the departures.



Categories: Baselworld 2020, Baselworld 2021, Chanel, Chopard, Patek Philippe, Rolex, SIHH/ Watches & Wonders GVA 2020, Tudor, Watch Profile, Watches & Wonders Geneva 2021

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: